Inteested in becoming more involved with your community, maybe the Green Team is for you. Stop by at 7pm at the Delran Municipal Building at 7pm. This month our focus is trees and other things to make Delran a little greener. Here’s our agenda.
- Green team budget request for 2019
- Plan to finalize tree inventories
- Tree planting with 2018 funds
- Clean up with Delran High School November 19
- Delran Winter Festival December 1
- Annual Report to Mayor and Council for 2018
- Community Forestry Management Plan for 2018
- Wildflower garden
- DHS Grant application – Back to Eden Garden
- Delran Chicken Pilot
Our next meeting is September 19. We will be starting at 4pm at the Wildflower Garden. We need to remove the grass and weeds. We’d like to mow it down for the winter. After planting we will be going over to Throwbacks Bar and Grill at 6 to discuss the following items. You can meet us at the Wildflower Garden or just stop in at Throwbacks.
- Tree Inventory
- Community Calendar
- All Green Team Meeting October 4
- Little Library
- Community Yard Sale – September 29.
- Sustainable Jersey Actions for recertification in 2020
- Chicken Ordinance
The public is always welcome to attend our meetings.
The Delran Green Team will meet on August 15 at 7pm at the Delran Municipal Building on Chester Avenue. Our goal is to implement measures that make Delran a better place to live. If you’d like to help stop by our meeting and help us focus our strategies. This month we will be discussing and planning the following:
- Tree Inventories
- Arbor Day 2019 / Tree City USA application
- Ideas for collaboration with Riverside Township and Delran Schools
- Backyard Chicken Ordinance
- Wildflower Garden Maintenance
- Next steps for Actions that require Council involvement – Community Calendar, Flood Preparedness, Public Information and Community Engagement, Energy Efficiencies for Municipal Facilities
Join the Green Team for their monthly meeting 7pm at the Delran Municipal Building. Our Community Forestry Plan has been approved and we need to start implementing actions. We will also be discussing the following activities.
- Composting and Rainbarrel Workshop
- Community Yard Sale
- Little Library Update
- Sustainable Jersey Summit June 21
Thank you to all that came out to pick up tree seedlings. This was a tough winter and we need to start replanting new trees. We had Kousa Dogwood also know as Japanese Dogwood (it’s in the photo), Bald Cypress, Red Maples and a new hybrid Loblolly Pitch Pine. We handed out planting directions but go to Arbor Day to see what these trees should look like when fully grown.
We’re ready to “Think Spring” and get started in our Wildflower Garden. But before we start planting, we will be meeting on April 11 at 7pm in the Delran Township Municipal Building. The public is welcome to join the meeting. Here’s our agenda for April:
Report on Community Clean up
Discussion/Planning for upcoming Events
Seedling hand outs – April 21
STEM Fair April 23
Arbor Day – April 27
Wildflower maintenance – May 9
Rain Barrel Workshop – May 19
Little Library dedication – May 19
Bulletin Board/Place for Awards and news in Municipal Building
CEU’s for Community Forestry Plan
Email blast – topics covered
Parks and Playground Tree mapping- Dates?
We love working with our Sustainability Leaders and students at Delran Township Public Schools and Councilman Tyler Burrell. On April 6, 2018 students at Millbridge School, Delran Intermediate School, Delran Middle School and Delran High School participated in a community clean-up. They collected 83 bags of trash and 16 bags of recyclables. Before starting out the students received a safety orientation. Many of the students are active in their school’s Green Team. They are our future. Here’s a link for the full story.
The Delran Green Team has developed a Community Forestry Plan for Delran Township with funding provided by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. At the April 3 public meeting, we are hoping that Council passes a resolution so that the Plan can be submitted to the State. Having an adopted Plan allows Delran to apply for grant funding to removal storm damaged trees and plant new trees. Our first action, will be creating an inventory at each of our parks and playgrounds. If you are interested, send an email and we’ll let you know when we get started.
The Delran Green Team will be meeting at the Delran Township Municipal Building on March 14 at 7pm. The public is welcome to join the meeting. Here’s our agenda for March:
- Community Forestry Plan Presentation at the Council Work Session on March 27
- Public Meeting – April 3 for resolution to submit CFP
- Community Clean up Day – April 6
- STEM Fair – April 23
- Arbor Day – April 27
- Little Library and Rain Barrel Workshop -May 19
- Park and Playground Tree Maps
The storms have really damaged trees in Delran. If you are looking for someone to come out and remove branches or trees, here’s a list of Tree Experts for Burlington County . The code for tree removal is B.